The Physicians Coalition for Injectable Safety recently launched a campaign aimed at reminding consumers that no pharmaceutical filler or injected device is presently FDA-approved for large volume injection to the buttocks. Coalition Says Synthetic Fillers and Large Volume Injections Dangerous:
The popularity and hype surrounding buttock augmentation and other large-volume body enhancing injections on blog sites like RealSelf.com and outside U.S. borders is an alarming and potentially deadly trend, cautions the Physicians Coalition for Injectable Safety. Permanent fillers such as polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA), silicone, and polyacrylimide used in augmenting buttocks, hips, and even breasts can not only result in disfigurement but have resulted in death and serious injuries both in the U.S. and abroad. Synthetic fillers are used without extensive studies to determine safety and long-term outcomes.
The recent death of a woman in Argentina following buttock augmentation is not a result of plastic surgery. It is the result of a dangerous practice with fillers that are not intended to be used in this way.
The recent death of a woman in Argentina following buttock augmentation is not a result of plastic surgery," says Brazilian plastic surgeon Joao Carlos Sampaio Goes, MD, PhD, and past president of the International Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. It is the result of a dangerous practice with fillers that are not intended to be used in this way." Buttock augmentation is a hot topic in the media and a popular procedure of surgical tourism," often performed in countries where standards are less stringent.
This is not an incident or practice isolated to the U.S," says Baltimore dermatologist Robert Weiss, MD, Immediate Past- President of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. Recent headlines of death in the U.S. include cases in Tampa, Florida where an unlicensed, non–medical provider allegedly injected two women with a homemade combination of industrial silicone oil and saline to augment or enhance the shape of their buttocks, and a woman in the Bronx who died after illegal silicone injections resulted in the substance migrating to (traveling) her lungs and producing respiratory failure."
Read it all.