American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS) members performed more than 8 million procedures in 2011, according to a new survey.
Topping the list of procedures performed by ASDS members were:
• Skin cancer treatments (estimated 2.6 million total; 2.49 million for non-melanoma)
• Injectables neurotoxins (1.2 million, including nearly 1 million BOTOX® and 275,000 Dysport® procedures)
• Laser/light procedures (1.6 million, including 378,230 facial redness and/or vessels procedures)
• Soft-tissue fillers (830,800 procedures, including Restylane®, JUVEDERM® and RADIESSE®)
• Laser hair removal (480,000 procedures)
Overall, the total number of cosmetic and medical procedures increased from 7.8 million in 2010 to more than 8 million in 2011. The majority of procedures were performed in California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina and Texas, the survey showed.
"These findings show that patients continue to choose dermatologic surgeons for their unique training and experience to treat the health, function and beauty of skin through both cosmetic and medically necessary procedures," says ASDS President Susan Weinkle, MD, in a press release.
Of the more than 151,000 body sculpting procedures performed by ASDS members, non-invasive treatment of fat and cellulite was the most common with about 74,000 procedures. Cryolipolysis accounted for 12 percent of body sculpting procedures for a total of 55,000 procedures, followed by tumescent liposuction with 16,800 procedures, the survey showed.
The online and fax survey was conducted by Perception Solutions between January 18 and February 19, 2012. The survey link was administered to 3,700 practicing ASDS members. The results are based on responses from 563 physicians.